Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My Childhood, Day Four: Romancing "Ratatouille"

*I have decided to dedicate this week (one blog entry a day) to a revisiting of my favorite and most memorable aspects from childhood. Whether they were manifested in cartoons, films, or television shows, their memories have continued to stay with me, even long after I got older and abandoned them for other "mature" forms of entertainment. This is not to say that they have shaped or changed my life in dramatic ways, but they have served as feel-good reminders for the simple, good ol' days. It's not bad to reminisce, not at all, and I think that it is important to do so. Nostalgia, I believe, is like meditation: simplifying complicated matters in adulthood into a single breath of pure, unadulterated pleasure.


I love French culture.
I love food.
I don't like rats.
But I like "Ratatouille."

Disney Pixar's 2007 film, "Ratatouille," came out when I was well into my teens. But I still consider this my childhood, because, well, I was under 18 and I still had that innocent, wide-eyed wonder for all things Pixar.


Note: This is not to say that I am completely disenchanted with the company. I still like Pixar, but I have been disappointed by some of its films in the recent years. After "Toy Story 3" in 2010, it has just been let-downs: "Cars 2" in 2011, "Brave" in 2012, and "Monsters University" this year. I blame the company for running out of ideas, thus resorting to either previous, successful works or generic, hackneyed endings (like the case with "Brave").

But I'm not here today to discuss the quality of Pixar films. I'm here to discuss my love for "Ratatouille."

I think I've seen the film around 10 times so far. But it never gets old. There's always something new to notice, whether it's the quirks of the characters or the Paris scenery. But most of the time, I just sit back and immerse myself into this incredible world of France and gastronomy. Better yet, French gastronomy.

Actual ratatouille
The film is a cute play-on a popular so-called "peasant dish," considering that the lead character is a rat (get it? "RAT-atouille?"). Yet, by taking Remy, the rat, and making him a fabulous cook, is ingenious. Because first of all, real-life rats are not that cute, nor are they anthropomorphic. They are also garbage-diggers and vermin, eating the scraps from leftovers behind the restaurant and swarming in groups in and out of pipes and sewers. Gross. I am afraid of rats.

But I'm not afraid of Remy. In fact, I adore him. As an audience member, I sympathized with him, as well as his family. They hoard food from trashcans in order to survive, which can represent a reflection of our own lower-class in today's society: hoarding "crap" food in contrast to the gluttony of upper-class fine-dining.

Fish bones or foie gras. 
You choose. 

Additionally, Remy is an unexpected hero, an accidental one, even. All he cares for is cooking, but he happened to stumble upon an opportunity (thanks to the stringy busboy Linguini) that made him a star. A star as bright as the ones that burn on top of Restaurant Gusteau. Regardless of the fact that he comes from a low, undesirable rung in the social ladder, Remy is able to break tradition and furthermore break the glass ceiling. Or, in his case, break old lady's window pane.

One thing that Pixar has managed to be consistent with (unlike the consistency of its films) is the scenery in the film. You also see that in the company's other works: the green, rolling hills of Scotland in "Brave," the lush, starry galaxy in "Wall*E," and the vast, blue ocean floor in "Finding Nemo." Therefore, you truly receive a visual feast (pun intended) from the Parisian streets in "Ratatouille." It comes down to the details, from "les pétits magasins" in the neighborhoods to the quaint, cobblestone roads that Linguini bikes on to the breathtaking views of the Eiffel Tower and the Seine River. As Remy would put it: "Pure. Poetry."

Food and France. Those two words seem to pair well perfectly. How Remy engages in culinary talk, proposing dishes and gathering the freshest herbs for the best-tasting omelette as Camille serenades us with "Le Festin" in the background. It is adorably charming and romantic at the same time. I even bought the song for my iPod.

Yet, while I harbor so many feelings for this film, other people do not seem to agree. At least, not as much. "Ratatouille" has been ranked between #4 and #9, out of the 14 films released so far, by movie-critic websites like Disney Movies Guide, Entertainment Weekly, and IGN. Not even in the Top 3. Never number one. Deeper works like "Wall*E" and nostalgic, bittersweet stories like "Up" and "Toy Story 3" continue to dominate the coveted Top 3 places interchangeably. Don't get me wrong, those films were great. But I wasn't charmed as much as I was with "Ratatouille." Heck, I didn't even shed a tear at the presumed tear-jerkers: "Up" and "Toy Story 3!" What makes "Ratatouille" stand out from those films was that it had texture: socially, culturally, and culinary.

Even years later, "Ratatouille" continues to charm me, as well as revitalize my ability to dream big. Too often I fall into ruts of cynicism and realism, choosing to anticipate the consequences instead of envisioning the possibilities. There is a difference between the two. In other words, the film reminds me that it is okay to be a dreamer and, with faith and effort, it will come true.

From the wise words of Gusteau: "Your only limit is your soul...anyone can cook."

No comments:

Post a Comment